The New Year

As we enter the New Year, it’s time again for us to write those pesky New Year’s resolutions. I’ve personally resolved to spend more time thinking and reading in order to better position the College for the future and like most folks, to lose those few extra pounds. But it often seems that something gets in the way.

I recently read a Wall Street Journal article (December 18, 2012, Health & Wellness section, page D2) that addresses this issue. “Why can’t we stick to the plan, and why do we try again?” The article mentions the current “self-change” research and discusses ways we often reduce our chances of success. Ultimately, successful people create specific plans on what they will do if an obstacle arises as they pursue their goals.

Although the College has not created what we would call “resolutions” to implement this New Year, we will begin monitoring and measuring key performance indicators. I’m looking forward to beginning this process so we can achieve our vision of becoming “the college of choice.”

All of these measures link to our strategic plan. Some of the related activities folks will see this spring include design work on a new academic building that will be built next to Davis Hall and also concerted efforts to increase the number of scholarships for our terrific students.

In an earlier blog, I recommended the book The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg: http://president.nichols.edu/category/relevant-readings/. That book details a process on how to effectively change a habit. I think I’ll reread it over the break and prepare my own “self-change” plan so the odds are greater that my resolutions will become reality this year!

One of my personal goals this year is to spend as much time as possible with my two-year old granddaughter, Grace. There is nothing more energizing (and exhausting) than my time as “Nana.”

One thought on “The New Year

1. Sounds like spring will be a busy time around campus, good luck with the improvements! Also, I have read the Power of Habit, excellent read, good recommendation for students (especially MBA/MOL).