The Spirit of Giving

This fall, the giving spirit has been alive here on the Nichols campus. Last month nearly 40 students participated in a Community Service Day, volunteering at the Webster Cat Connection shelter, picking up trash at the Shepherd Hill High School athletic fields, and washing fire trucks and bays at the Dudley fire house.

More recently on campus, first year students (along with some faculty and staff) participated in the Bison Stampede, an afternoon walking and service event for first-year students and staff/faculty volunteers. The goal was to build a sense of camaraderie among the students and begin a tradition of service we hope they will continue throughout their time here. The students donated nearly $220 in cash, 335 food/toiletry items, and several coats and blankets for the Webster-Dudley Food Share. The total reached nearly $270 when faculty and staff donations were added in. The history club has also been collecting spare change here on campus for the Food Share.

I am pleased that students and the campus community have taken the time to give back and make the lives of those less fortunate at least a bit brighter.

Personally, I am most thankful for my amazing family, including my husband Dave, our two children and their spouses, and our grandchildren Grace and Liam. I’m very fortunate to be able to see my kids and grandkids nearly every weekend and to spend time with the little ones as “Nana.” I would also be remiss to not also state how fortunate I am to be at Nichols–the most caring and collaborative college community that I have ever experienced.

Wishing all of you a very special Thanksgiving with your family and friends.