Encouraging Grads to ‘reap the seeds they plant’

During Nichols commencement ceremony on May 10, I had the distinguished honor of sending our new graduates off into the world as they begin the next stage of their journey in life. The class of 2014 has inspired us as we have watched them grow and develop into confident young men and women during their four years at Nichols.

During my speech, I reminded them that they were able to rise to a level of achievement that many of them were not sure they could accomplish when they arrived. Collectively and individually, they achieved some amazing statistics. It is estimated that our graduates collectively delivered 11,940 presentations. This class also donated approximately 400 hours of community service through athletic teams. And, our peer tutors provided over 850 hours of assistance to their classmates.

One quote by author Robert Louis Stevenson seemed to fit the occasion, and I encouraged graduates to consider the advice, “Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.” As our graduates plant new seeds, I encouraged
them to keep in touch with their Nichols roots. We hope they will keep us informed – text us, tweet us, tell us how the next chapter of their Nichols story is unfolding. And to remember that no matter how far our bison roam, they will always be welcomed home on the Hill.