My Experience as “President for a Day”

President DiscussionWritten by Chad Weeks

On March 31, I had the great opportunity to trade places with President Engelkemeyer to become the “President for a Day.”  When I received the congratulatory email, I felt like I had won the golden ticket just like the boy in the movie, “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.”

One of the most surprising parts of my day was discovering how much hard work and effort goes on behind the scenes.  I think most students take this for granted.  We don’t realize the dedication of the faculty and staff to student success and preparing us to be leaders in our community.

During the day, I met with the different departments on campus and learned about the College finances and how the funding process works, what types of Student Services situations may arise on campus and how to manage them, and how the Center for Student Involvement operates and the plans they have for the future.  When I met with academic leadership, we discussed both the undergraduate and graduate academic programs and how Nichols wants to develop them.  I also learned a lot about the College’s trustees and how they contribute so much to our school.  Lastly, I learned how to be a better leader and role model for the people I meet and work with.  All of these lessons will not only help me as I pursue my teaching career but in my personal life as well.presidentialLunch

Everyone I met and spoke with treated me as if I was the president, whether it was faculty, staff or students.  They treated me with respect and as a leader.  I couldn’t have asked for a better experience or more support.  It was a lot of fun and a great learning experience.  Anyone who is presented this opportunity is incredibly fortunate and should be very proud.  If I could do it again, I would!

One thought on “My Experience as “President for a Day”

1. It was a great day and an excellent demonstration of leadership! Nicely done Chad, best wishes to you. Remember we would love to have you as a grad student if you decide to advance your studies.
    Kerry