Moving In and Up

Every year, I make it a priority to join the hustle and bustle of Move In Day, when the incoming freshmen students arrive on campus. I watched as upbeat families moved furniture and unpacked boxes. They were not alone as a squad of Nichols upperclassmen converged to help them.

9-14-15-Moving-In-fixedThese Nichols “movers and shakers” swarmed cars as they pulled in. Many parents seemed almost shell shocked as they walked behind the carts and volunteers with nothing in their arms because it had all been taken care of. In addition to the student athletes, many faculty and staff were part of the day. The remarkable sense of community spirit and pride shined as bright as the sun on this Move In Friday.

9 14 15 Moving In AI met mothers, fathers, grandparents, much younger siblings, and hometown friends. One father told me how his daughter had been torn between two schools and how he kept hoping her final choice would be Nichols because it seemed to him that we were much more student oriented. I met one first-year student whose sister is a junior here, so the legacy tradition continues.

My message to all of these incoming freshmen: Make each second count here at Nichols—in the classroom and beyond. Challenge yourself. Study hard. Make friends. Get involved.