A Good Reason to Fly South in Winter

Going to Florida in February is always a welcome prospect, but my trip a few weeks ago was made all the warmer, thanks to my reason for visiting Naples on the state’s west coast. There I spent a wonderful evening at our annual Naples Alumni Reception for those living in Florida fulltime and others spending the winter there.

2016 3 9 Naples ReceptionFor the last five years, the numbers of alumni and family attending have more than doubled to over 60, ranging from the Class of ’54 to recent vintages. The event was again generously hosted by Nichols trustee and former board chair John McClutchy, Jr. and his wife Janet.

It was wonderful to see 1954 grads Earl Prolman and Richard Clinton. I was able to thank Earl personally for his plans to endow a new scholarship at Nichols, one of the latest in an exciting proliferation of endowed scholarships that will make a big difference for all of our students.

2016 3 9 Naples Reception 2Robin Brown ’87, P ’19 shared the Nichols parent experience and Naples Reception Committee members Rachel Tenz ’11 and EJ McLean ’96 were also there to support the College. For me, it was a special opportunity to talk with some alumni I had not yet met and to reconnect with folks that I hadn’t seen since the year before.

A great evening, made possible by the balmy weather and the reminder that we have supportive alumni all over the country.