Travels to Alumni

I travelled recently to receptions for Nichols alumni in New York City and Hartford, Connecticut. On these annual trips, it is always fun for me to talk with alumni about their Nichols experiences and their career paths. I’m always struck by the credit they give to Nichols for their success and love to hear stories about their favorite professors and the long-lasting friendships they made on the Hill.

2016 6 14 HartfordWhat struck me most about both the NYC and Hartford alumni events is the wide range of alumni who were there – folks who represented classes in the 1960s up to last year’s class of 2015. It has only been in recent years that we’ve begun to draw a large number of alumni who are such recent graduates.

Some came from afar this time around. At the NYC event, there were several alumni who traveled from Texas to reunite with classmates and spend time together the day after the event.2016 6 14 NYC

At these regional events, we provide an update on initiatives at the College and share progress on the capital campaign. One focus this year was to substantially increase the number of endowed scholarships. I’m proud to report we have doubled the number of endowed scholarships over the past five years.

When alumni hear first-hand from current students or see a video about the impact of scholarships, they are motivated to help those who resemble themselves years earlier.