My Day as a Student

susan classOn April 4, I traded places with Junior Emily Barden who was selected to be “President for a Day.” I wanted to live the day as Emily does, so that included taking on her schedule while she assumed mine.

Emily’s Tuesday schedule includes two required business core classes. My first class of the day was Operations Management with Professor Duhaime. I taught operations management for 14 years at Babson College, so it brought back fond memories of discussing supply chain and inventory management issues and methods. I had fun giving a brief presentation on operations in the news with classmates Isabella, Daisy, and Alexandra.

My second class was Business, Government, and Regulations with Professor Lambert. The preparation for this class involved reading and watching an eye-opening video on supplements. The lack of regulation and quality control for these products is startling. No trips to the supplement stores for me anytime soon! Both classes were interesting and great learning experiences.

My afternoon included working in Student Life, and getting in trouble with Dean Boggio for emailing on my phone while I was working. While there, I enjoyed chatting with Kathy, Carmen, DJ and Andrew, and seeing students come through for their interviews for Orientation Leader.

But the highlight of my day was a scheduled workout in the weight room with women’s ice hockey. The team was very welcoming and took their workout quite seriously. Not wanting to look like someone my age, I was determined to keep up. It felt good at the time, but I had to nearly crawl up the stairs to bed Tuesday night, and my thighs were still killing me the next day. One lesson I’ve learned is that age 20 was so very long ago. It also reminded me why I chose equestrian sports as a young person – the horse does all the hard work!

Looking back on the experience, I am excited about the lessons I learned and the students I met and am already looking forward to the experience next year!