My Experience as “President for a Day”

Written by Emily Barden

My day as President was one of the best days I have had at Nichols. The opportunity to learn more about the operations and inner workings of our school as well as to learn more about President Engelkemeyer and her position, was one that I could not pass up. I am thankful for applying and will encourage anyone to apply in the subsequent years.

Emily PCI began the day presenting to the President’s Council on the changes I would like to implement that would benefit current students, staff/faculty, future students, and alum. That was a great experience on its own. I presented to a group of very remarkable and vital members of our institution and it was very rewarding hearing their input as well as the questions they had for me.

Emily VPAA_1From there, I had various meetings where I learned about and discussed enrollment, marketing, fundraising within our capital campaign, the honors program, and other plans Nichols has in store. I even had the opportunity to call various alum who have recently created their own endowment scholarship and thank them for their contribution. The conversations I had with the alumni I spoke to, were very interesting and it was great to hear that they have all given back to Nichols because they are so thankful for their time on The Hill.

My day was amazing, to say the least. I loved learning about the various responsibilities President Engelkemeyer has, the different departments she works with, and how valuable her role is. I am so thankful I had the opportunity to switch places with the President and hope many others decide to apply next year.