Happy Holidays

The holidays are upon us. The hustle and bustle bring excitement, not only to the upcoming festivities, but to the end of the semester as well.

I have already started making holiday memories this year. Earlier this month, I attended the Student Government Association party where we played a serious game of musical chairs, and I consider, as badges of honor, the slight bumps and bruises I accumulated.  SGA President Catherine Hoey and I hosted a Bison Sugar Cookie Decorating event. The toppings—frosting, toasted coconut, candy pieces, and colored sugar among them—made for tempting final products and convinced me that one (maybe two) was enough.

A few days ago, I sent a holiday message to the Nichols family celebrating the many ways in which our student volunteers have contributed to the surrounding community. From Alternative Spring Break to Bison Give Back (which provided services at 30 different sites), these students proved that the spirit of the holidays is alive and well at Nichols all year round.

One response to this greeting came from a class of 1965 alumnus, who recalled receiving financial assistance from an anonymous donor to help pay his senior year tuition. Then president, Colonel James Conrad, arranged for the funds and imposed this condition: “’From this date forward, go forward and help everyone you can and never ask for anything in return except for them to help others.’ I have tried to help as many folks as possible, thanks to Colonel Conrad and Nichols College.”

We have already had snow in Dudley, and right now the empty white campus ringed by red brick buildings and bare trees looks like a holiday postcard. But I also notice the absence of those who bring the campus to life—and will again in January. I look forward to their return.

Happy holidays.