A Taste of Nichols

There are many occasions to value during the academic year—Move In day, the basketball team’s Senior Night, and, of course, Graduation Day. To those, we have happily added A Taste of Nichols, which has come to serve as one of our Parents’ Weekend events, and then some.

The Parents Weekend agenda ranged from information sessions from Residential Life and Student Affairs, to a Murder Mystery Dinner, to Bingo. We even squeezed in a football game, a great 40-17 win against Becker College. (I was a bit concerned in the first quarter when the score was so close. It was nice to see our team stay focused and pull away for a convincing win.)

2019 11 6 Family Day PhotoAnd the attending families more literally get a taste of Nichols at a food court featuring Sodexo Dining Services and local restaurants on the quad. The pumpkin ravioli was my favorite!

I saw very proud students giving families private tours on campus. The majority of parents have first-year students here. It’s nice to hear them talk about what a good experience their daughter or son is having.

I did talk with the parents of a junior who were here for the first time to truly experience the campus. (Their prior experience had been dropping off and picking up their son.) They were very complimentary about how beautiful the campus was and how they have marveled at watching their son grow/mature/hone his leadership skills.

While we told parents what we’re doing, it was nice to hear back about how we’re doing.

I casually met folks all day in a Fels classroom and the Fitness Center, at the football game, and during my favorite activity—Bingo, which was student-run and where the prizes included plenty of branded Nichols items from t-shirts and sweatshirts to glassware. On the way out one dad told me he was disappointed we didn’t give away second semester tuition as one of the prizes.

Maybe next year?