An Extraordinary Thanksgiving

It was just me and my husband Dave on Thanksgiving Day this year. We were initially planning an outdoor afternoon of fun and feast at my son’s house, but the weather forecast for cold and downpours squashed that idea. We were thankful for Zoom, because that’s how we saw our two kids, their spouses, and four grandkids.

We typically spend the holiday together in person. Three years ago, my daughter-in-law asked if she could take over the hosting and primary cooking responsibilities. Gotta love it! I can’t wait to get back to that newer tradition.

The arrival of Thanksgiving coincided with the end of in person classes at Nichols, but not without a culinary celebration—our annual “moonlight breakfast” on Sunday, November 15th. There was a socially-distanced seating option and a take-out option offered due to COVID-19 restrictions in Massachusetts. Many faculty and staff were there (including myself), and students seemed in high spirits even though it was far from our normal routine.

Given the prediction that COVID-19 would spike again once cooler temperatures arrived (which did happen), the decision was made during the summer that it would be safest to send students home for Thanksgiving break and finish the semester remotely via Zoom.
The efforts of our students, staff, and faculty, COVID-19 protocols and testing schedules, and removing any breaks that we would normally have during the fall semester made it possible to achieve our goal of being on campus and offering in person classes until November 24.

Meanwhile, I’m thankful that there is a light at the end of this COVID-19 tunnel, with vaccines on the horizon.

I do hope students, staff and faculty took a moment to truly appreciate all we have to be thankful for this year. And I hope they remain safe and healthy.