Accepted Students Reception

On Sunday, April 22nd, Nichols held this year’s second and final Accepted Student Reception—an event at which we welcomed a host of next year’s freshmen and their families and others not yet committed to coming here next fall.

Almost 140 students attended, and all received information on what to expect of academics and life at Nichols. Over the course of the morning and three back-to-back sessions, they explored academic majors, extracurricular activities, and our signature professional development and leadership programs.

I told our future freshman—future Bison, I called them—that we need them to make us stronger as a college tomorrow, just as the current student body represents our strength today. I asked those still finalizing their college choices to use their heads and hearts in making a consequential life decision.

It was significant to me that some of the students attending were looking to transfer from Mount Ida College in Newton, Massachusetts, which will close its doors later this spring because of financial difficulties. That recent and surprising decision has been sobering to the many small, private colleges around Massachusetts.

I was asked by both parents and students how they could be sure we’re not the next Mount Ida. I discussed financials and offered to share audited financial statements. One of the students who posed this question had transferred to Mount Ida last year only to find himself seeking a new academic home for his senior year.

I also pointed to the bright careers awaiting our graduates, in particular those of an award-winning movie producer and a former CEO of the retail chain Aubuchon Hardware. Both received honorary doctorate degrees at the Nichols commencement ceremonies on Saturday, May 5.

Then it will be on to preparing for the Class of 2021.