Well, it has been an exciting and busy time on The Hill. We are at midterms already, our Fall sports are continuing to show their grit on the field and court, and the campus is just breathtaking with the fall colors.
Just to note a few of the exciting things happening here:
1) On October 3rd, we welcomed prospective families to campus for our first in-person Open House event since 2019. It was great being able to show the families all Nichols has to offer with small class sizes, world class professors and staff, incredible experiential learning opportunities, and beautiful facilities. I also attended a Guidance Counselor Reception at the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, MA where we welcomed over 40 counselors to enjoy a beautiful dinner reception and discuss the different opportunities Nichols can offer our students. On November 7th we will welcome prospective families back to campus for our second Open House – can’t wait for that day.
2) Marla and I had a great turnout for our last Freshmen BBQ of the season. It has been wonderful being able to talk with the first-year students on a weekly basis and learn about their interests and involvement on campus. The Class of 2025 is truly an ambitious class and we are excited to watch them grow as leaders over the next four years.
3) Over the next few weeks, the campus will be booming with community events including our first ever Pumpkin Fest 2021, where there will be Halloween inspired food, fire pits and s’mores, pumpkin carving, and live music. We’ll wrap up the month with a haunted house in the Fels Student Center and a faculty and staff social where they will hand out candy to our students. It will be a spooky time here in Dudley.
4) Our first EVER event in the “Nichols on the Green” will happen this month with a Senior Halloween Pub Night. We will start on renovations at the golf course restaurant/bar soon creating a sports bar feel for our students to be able to enjoy watching athletic events and create memories together. Our Hospitality students will be hosting three of their fundraising events in there in November and some faculty meetings will also concur in the space. Initially, this Fall will be a soft opening but, upon arrival back for Spring semester, it will be a space used consistently for our community! Beyond exciting news for the Bison.
5) Now introducing- The Nichols College Center for Intelligent Process Automation (CIPA) where students can access cutting-edge technology and build skills to revolutionize business processes with dynamic experiential learning opportunities. I am so excited by the efforts of Professor Richards and students as this will be a game changer for Nichols.
6) Nichols vs. Bryant at Bryant University! On October 25, we will witness Coach Erickson and the Men’s Basketball team play Division I opponent Bryant University. Nichols fans will fill the stands (a “green out” is planned) showing their Bison Pride and singing the newly released Nichols College Fight Song. There will be green and black everywhere.
You can feel the energy here on the Hill. The Bison are on the move, and Marla and I are looking forward to all that’s happening the next few weeks.
Go Books. Go Bison.